Adaptive Technology and Accessibility CentersThe Adaptive Technology and Accessibility Centers (ATAC) at Indiana University Bloomington and IUPUI provide a wide range of services for qualifying students, faculty, and staff with disabilities, as well as comprehensive accessibility evaluation and consulting services for the IU community.
On this page:
- Services for qualifying students, faculty, and staff
- Services for the IU community
- Contact information
Services for qualifying students, faculty, and staff
- Common adaptive applications (Kurzweil 3000, JAWS, and ZoomText)
available on all IUB and IUPUI Windows workstations in the Student Technology Centers
- Software and hardware loaner program (per semester basis, free
- Software to assist those with learning disabilities, motor impairment, hearing impairment, and vision impairment
- Alternative input devices to assist those with motor and physical issues affecting their ability to interact with a workstation, take notes, etc.
- CCTVs and other magnification equipment to assist those with vision impairment
- Alternative media creation (free of charge)
- Accessible eTexts, large print, and more, for support of those for whom print is inaccessible or difficult
- Tactile graphics of math, diagrams, and graphs for those who cannot see images in their original format
- Podcast transcriptions (and for videos when captioning is not possible) for the hearing impaired
- Video captions for the hearing impaired
- Audio description of videos for the visually impaired
Services for the IU community
The ATAC also provides comprehensive accessibility evaluation and consulting services for the IU community. Evaluation services offered include a combination of:
- Expert reviews
- Functional accessibility evaluation by users of adaptive technology
- Technical accessibility evaluation by manual and semi-automatic code reviews performed by people experienced in accessibility best practices
- Accessibility conformance testing against relevant accessibility standards, including Indiana University's Web Accessibility Administrative Practice
Evaluations include in-person demonstrations of accessibility issues. Upon request, an easily readable report can be provided detailing the effects and severity of such issues, and recommended solutions.
The ATAC can perform accessibility evaluations on:
- Web sites, online systems, web applications
- Course materials and documents
- Hardware (e.g., printers, print release stations, phones)
To request an evaluation, submit the Accessibility Evaluation Request Form.
IUB Wells Library 101 Bloomington, IN 47408 First floor, just inside the library's west tower in the Information Commons; staffed Monday-Friday 9am-5pm 812-856-4112 Email ATAC
IUPUI ICTC 131 535 West Michigan Street Indianapolis, IN 46202 In the Informatics and Communications Technology Complex; appointments available Monday-Friday 9am-5pm 317-274-6482 Email ATAC
Contact information for ATAC staff